Lifestyle factors like exercise, diet and sleep are associated with improved wellbeing and can influence our mental health.
There are many proven benefits to building in regular exercise into your day. Many studies now show that exercise can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- boost your energy
- build self-confidence and feelings of accomplishment
- help you be more sociable
- help you get better sleep
- help reduce stress
- distract you from your worries and negative thought patterns
- boost creativity and productivity
- boost memory
- help you relax after a hard day at work
- get you outside and away from distractions and screens.
Good nutrition is important for our health and wellbeing. Maintaining a healthy diet with plenty of fresh food, limited processed foods, and prebiotic and probiotic foods, has a major contribution to good health.
Sleep needs vary across our ages and lifestyles. Good quality sleep and regular sleep patterns are crucial to our wellbeing. Recommended sleep times for adults are 7 to 9 hours
Mindfulness is good for your health, happiness and wellbeing. It helps us stop getting caught up in thinking about the past or worrying about the future. It helps us slow down and be in the ‘now’.
- increase positivity and how happy we feel about life
- improve how well we get along with others.
- be useful in helping many health conditions that arise due to stress like anxiety and depression
- slow down ‘hypervigilance’, where we’re constantly stressed and ‘on guard’ for danger
- stop us dwelling on negative thought patterns about ourselves and others.